Friday, May 1, 2009

DECK BOXES NEAR COMPLETION



I put a small lip on the base where the cover fits over and I hope this will keep things a bit drier inside.
THERE THEY ARE IN ALL THEIR GLORY AHEM! They have taken a while to make but I am quite pleased with them. As you can see I have kept the paduk panel "motif" going thru out the boat. First appearring in the table, then the head door and now in the deck boxes. If Bill will let me I plan to include in the wash boards. I didn't varnish the outside as I do not have the varnish that the rest of the boat was completed with, so rather than mix it up....




Ben Ericksen has been a big help giving me a profile for the tops, so that they would follow the coach roof contour, they are likely too tall so they can be easily cut down on the table saw, and I have yet to glue the teak "shoe" on the base. Teak is a lot more resistant to rot than Mahog and as the deck is likely to wet a lot, why not let some teak sit in the puddle rather than the mahog.




I was trying to make the boxes as big as possible so as they can be used for heavy storage really in the center of the boat, hinges etc are not available in this neck of the woods, I plan to have the hinge to the outside and the catch towards the midline.


No comments:

Post a Comment