Thursday, November 19, 2009

Windlass

I found this baby at Traditional Marine in Annapolis Nova Scotia. John and Anna Edelmann run the company and what pleasant folks they are. The store is filled with all kinds of marine stuff, pity I didn't have more time to peruse but that is the way. Spent a while just chatting to them and of we had to have a cup of tea............ typical Maritime hospitality!
The gypsy for the windlass was slightly over size from the manufacturer, so we had a mismatch, anyway they gave me the whole thing to take to Bill in Camden to see what was to be done. No need to pay for it if it didn't work just send it back!
I explained the situation to Bill when I got to the boat shed and before I had finished breakfast the following day he had the problem fixed on the lathe. I keep on challenging him and he just sort of always fixes things with no fuss. I suspect there isn't anything he can't do but I will keep trying.............
I had actually decided against buying a bronze windlass as they were just too expensive and what with the Canadian dollar doing its nose dive. Well of course ABI is pretty well gone and even if I wanted one I couldn't get one now, so it was great to find this one at a price I could afford. I think it belongs on the foredeck of a BCC, especially mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment